Our nation is in trillions of dollars of debt, and yet our people keep asking the government to do more for them. How does a kid feel when their parents die and stiff them with debts and funeral costs? We’re doing that with our budget. We need to cut back now. We need to make the hard decisions now so that when we leave, our kids have something we’ve left them – a surplus. How do we cut our budget and spending and reduce the national debt?
Plan to Reduce the National Debt
- We quit giving money to countries that don’t need it. We don’t give money to nations who are corrupt and who use little of it for the reason we gave it. We don’t give money to nations that don’t appreciate it. We surely don’t give money to those who hate us and seek to undermine us.
- Internally, we cut our budget through attrition. When a government official retires or dies, we don’t replace them. We do more with less.
- We cut our budget by 10% across the board, in every area except our military.
- We quit promising free, free, free to our people. It’s not free and our people need to realize everything we give comes at a cost to someone – ultimately the very recipients of the government.
- We quit borrowing money to pay our bills and then say we have to do this to pay our bills. All we are doing is creating more bills.
Our Church was running low in our bank account. What did I do? I cut my pay by 20% and I cut every possible expense. Then I asked the members to voluntarily give as God leads them to help. I can’t tax our Church members, nor would I. I just asked them for help. You know what? They gave, because they love this Church and we are in this together. It can work the same in our government – cut our expenses; and instead of taxing, we ask those who are able to give more to reduce the debt – voluntarily. Why would they do that? They should because we are in this together as Americans.
One other thing, when we follow God, He provides. When we don’t, He doesn’t. Do you wonder why we are in this mess?
Biblical Support – Deuteronmy 28:1 If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. Deuteronomy 28:12 You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none. Proverbs 22:7 The rich rule over the poor,and the borrower is servant to the lender.
Pastor Johnny Teague is running for Congress in the 9th Congressional District of Texas. For more see Johnny Teague On The Issues.